Locksmithing/cary safe

Question
dial
dial  

front of safe
front of safe  
you helped me with the victor patent so here is my next ...cary safe bottom floor of same building serial number is on the handle i drilled and manipluted where the gate are opened an aligned.. these inside wheel have numbers on them like the outside wheel...not sure what position i need them to be...now i no matter how i turn it when i turn it back to 40 the gate are aligned...i can actually work them all the way around but not sure what ive done to acheive this or where do i go from now to align them in the right position to unlock? it appears to be older... and not opened for a long time. what kind of lock is it...and how old is it? and is this worth anything

Answer
Hi Thomas,

FIRST RULE of opening safes - ESPECIALLY older or antique safes - Identify, Identify, Identify - BEFORE drilling.    Drilling when you don't know what you have, what lock is installed or what you should be looking for are very amateur or rookie mistakes.    Regardless of if you plan on doing this as a hobby or has a career, learn to be professional about how you approach your work - and this is probably good advice for any venture.   Being in a hurry, can easily ruin a safe or cost thousands of dollars to fix.

Secondly - if you "drilled" the safe, then you didn't manipulate it.   Manipulation is the art of opening a safe lock, with an unknown combination - WITHOUT drilling it.    You haven't done this, on this safe.

Based on your provided info - you have the serial number of the safe, but you didn't include it.    While I know this is a test of my "Jedi Mind Skills" - my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree, so I can't tell you what lock I would expect you to find on this safe.  

Based on the dial, I would suspect that it is a Yale Y-6, four wheel lock.   The dialing sequence is:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

As this site is an "open forum" type site - and we have no control over who sees information published here, and as such, other than the correct dialing sequence that we would expect for the lock installed, we do not give out ANY opening information - for obvious security and liability reasons.

also, pertaining to the value - locked up it basically has a negative value, that being the cost to open and/or repair the safe.    Once the safe is opened, I would be happy to look at it to appraise the condition of the safe, and possible values.   HOWEVER I have to warn you, that damage to the dial or the lock WILL severely impact the value of the safe.   Replacement locks and dials can EASILY run in the $600 to $750 range, IF they are available.

At this point, "IF" you have numbers to work from, I've given you all of the info that you need to open the container - assuming that the lock installed, is correct.    Forward me the serial number on the handle, and I'll verify what lock you should be looking at and possibly how old it is.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)