Locksmithing/combo doesn't open safe

Question
I have an old safe and recently it would not open with the correct combo. do not hear the tumblers when turning the dial.Any ideas you have will be a help. thanks

Answer
Hi Tony,

The reason you don't hear the "Tumblers" in the safe lock - is that there aren't any!   There also aren't any clowns, jugglers or trapeze artists!

Safe locks use "wheels", which turn.    Similar to the story about keeping a man busy by asking him to stand in the corner of a round room, there is nothing on the wheel for you to "feel" as you turn the dial.

What you are normally feeling is the lever assembly trying to engage the drive wheel, to unlock or retract the lock bolt.   If there is pressure on the door, or bolt work, and/or something as possibly become caught in the edge of the door, this pressure can be transmitted BACK into the lock, jamming the lever assembly, so that it is no longer free to move and interact with the drive wheel.

If the lever assembly doesn't move, it won't engage the drive wheel and wheel pack to unlock - EVEN if you dial the combination correctly.

If you can't identify what the problem with the door and/or bolt work is, then you will need to contact a safe technician from a local safe company to check the safe out and assist you in opening the safe.

Safes with direct drive bolt work, which is connected to the lock bolt, can damage the lock bolt and/or lever assembly, if it is partially extended when the door locks.   If the lever assembly is damaged, then it won't engage the drive wheel correctly either.

Bottom line - if you can't feel anything inside the lock (as you have indicated) then you have some type of mechanical lock failure which needs addressing.   

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults to find a local safe company.   If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know or recommend in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)