Locksmithing/lost my ignition switch keys to crank my 2004 buick rainier cxl

Question
Can i order a key a program it myself or should i just buy a whole switch an about how much money will i be looking at

Answer
Hello Aretha,

The first thing you need is a key with the proper cuts to mechanically turn the ignition. You may be able to obtain that from a Buick dealer or from a locksmith in your area. Without the mechanical cuts you will be unable to program the new key to your vehicle. This can run anywhere from $10 to $100 depending on the rates in your area and where you must get the key from.

Once you have the mechanical cuts for your vehicle and those cuts are put onto a chipped key that is compatible with your vehicle you can program the new key yourself by following these very precise steps:

1. Connect a jump box, battery charger or jumper cables to your vehicle's battery. This process can drain your battery and without enough voltage your battery will die and you will be unable to program any new keys.
2. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position. The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for 10 minutes. When the light goes out, you have 1 minute to perform the next step. If your vehicle has no security light, set a timer for 10 minutes.
3. Turn the ignition to OFF then back to ON. The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for 10 minutes. When the light goes out, you have 1 minute to perform the next step. If your vehicle has no security light, set a timer for 10 minutes.
4. Turn the ignition to OFF then back to ON. The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for 10 minutes. If your vehicle has no security light, set a timer for 10 minutes.
5. After the security light has gone out for the 3rd time, the key is programmed to the vehicle. All previous keys have been erased. Turn the key to the START position to start the vehicle. Allow it to run for at least 30 seconds to make sure the system has properly accepted the new key.

If the vehicle doesn't start or dies within a few seconds, the key is not properly programmed and you must start the process over, OR there is an issue with your vehicle's anti-theft system and a diagnostic device must be utilized to program the key to your vehicle. You must take the vehicle to a locksmith or a dealer for programming.

I highly recommend against purchasing chipped keys for any vehicle online from any source. They are mostly inferior chips and do not program at all or properly.

Most locksmiths have or can obtain the proper quality chips needed for these types of vehicles.

I would advise obtaining 2 chipped keys if not more once you have one that mechanically operates your locks then program the others as well. The process is much simpler to add additional keys:
1. Insert your existing programmed key into the ignition and turn it to ON then OFF.
2. Remove the key and within 15 seconds insert a new key and turn it to ON.
3. The security light will light up for 2 seconds to indicate success.
The new key is now programmed.

I hope this helps.

James

Locksmithing

James