Locksmithing/sargent & greenleaf r 6700 safe

Question
QUESTION: What's the procedure for reset gting the combination on the dial

ANSWER: Hi Marvin,

First, you do not have a "Sargent & Greenleaf, R6700" safe.   The lock installed on the safe maybe an S&G, but they are NOT a safe manufacturer, only a lock maker.

Question:   Do you currently have the combination for your safe???

If you don't, then you have a locked up safe which will need to be opened in order to reset or recover the combination.

If you do have the combination and the safe is opened, then it takes a special tool to change the combination.

The procedure involves dialing the current combination to the 11 o'clock index mark, unlocking the lock with the changing tool, and then setting a new combination, relocking the lock and then testing.
Sounds simple but mistakes are very easy to make which will cause a locked up safe.   If you don't have the tool and instructions then you will have to obtain it.

NOTE:  I NEVER recommend changing the combination as a DIY project for the same reasons that I don't generally recommend using locksmiths.    Making a simple mistake can cause a very expensive lockout.

My recommendation would be for you to contact a local safe company to have your safe combination changed.
If the safe is locked up and you DON'T have the current combination, then you will also need a safe technician from the local safe company to open it.

Hope this answers your question.

QUESTION: What if the safe is open but you don't have the combination?

Answer
Hi Marvin,

As long as the safe is open, the combination can easily be recovered or reset by a safe tech from a local safe company.

Note:   DO NOT close and/or lock the door until after the combination has been recovered.

It will require lock disassembly which is why I don't recommend it as a DIY project.

Combination changing requires that you first have the current combination, so even with the tool and instructions, if you don't have it - you are back to square one - have a safe tech recover or reset it for you.

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local safe company.   if you don't have one, then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know or might recommend in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)