Locksmithing/Yale & Towne padlock

I have a old Yale & Towne padlock which I have had for many years but no longer have the combination.  Serial number is
K10087.  Is there any way I can obtain the combination for this old lock.

Thank You,

Hello David,

This is a common question.  Let me explain why I can't directly assist you today, although if you want a quick answer, see a locksmith in your area and they can help you.

For years many lock manufacturers imprinted serial numbers or codes on their products.  Some have stopped doing this, mainly on padlocks, for security reasons.  Others still put codes on their products that let a locksmith know how to cut a key or what the combination is for that product.

Let's say that someone passed by your house every day on their morning jog. They noticed a padlock on a locked gate which leads to your house, driveway, storage building or business. They aren't a thief but curiosity has stung them.  They lift the lock and notice a code.  They search the Internet and find this or any other site and ask the question you did.  The person they asked gives them the combination. The next time they notice you aren't home they use the code to enter your property, for curiosity's sake. Your back door is unlocked because you thought the padlock was secure so they go inside. They didn't steal anything but they were in your house, they could have stolen. Maybe they saw the keys to your vintage Camero, Corvette or Hog.  Now they know they can get in but they didn't take anything, this time.

What if they did steal? What if you were home?

Since I can't prove that you actually own the lock in question I can't and wouldn't give you the combination because you might be the jogger.

If I or anyone online were to provide cut keys or combinations to anyone that asked, we would not be doing our best to protect the owner of the lock and could be doing something that could be illegal and/or cause us to be liable for damages or loss.

The lock could be on a file cabinet, jewelry case, safe, key cabinet, gun trigger lock, gun safe or any type of lock that has a code on it.  I do not give information to anyone that provides a code without first having them prove they are the owner or authorized person and that can only be done in person.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.