Locksmithing/Cary safe serial number 26127

Bought this safe and would like to open it without damaging it so i can sell it. Where do I find a list of factory preset codes or the original lock combo for it

Hi Mike,

Factory Preset Codes???    No such thing or listing exists, except in the movies and on the internet!

1.   In the life of this manufacturer, they ONLY made about 220,000 safes and vault doors.   With the potential of 1,000,000 combinations available - at a minimum, they didn't even come close to using 1/4 of possible combinations, and locks like the Yale Y-6, four wheel lock, increased that number to 100,000,000 possible combinations for over 80,000 safes.

2.   Manufacture's NEVER publish ANY serial number listings, especially of things like originally set combinations, for obvious security and liability reasons.

While the lock on your safe was NOT designed to apply that many possible combinations or changes, from the outside, with a 100 number dial, you have little options but to test all 100,000,000 possible test numbers.   at 500 each and every day, this would only take you about 530 years to test them all.   

With a serial number of 26127, your safe would have ben built around 1889-91, and would have probably had the Cary C-3, indirect drive, four wheel lock.    Just under 10,000 safes were made with this lock.

So basically your options would include either test dialing all of the possible combinations or having it opened by a safe tech from a local safe company (not a locksmith).

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you (and/or the safe) are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but this is going to be a hands on problem.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)