Locksmithing/Combination for an Adesco

Question
Hello sir. My nsme is Kelly. I have an older (1997-2000?) Adesco Model US-45. I popped the door pins and with a little prying got the door off. I am in the process of repairing it now (not too bad). How do I find out what the combination is by looking at the wheels. As I turn the knob and the "pins" click in each time or would it be easier to change the combo. If so how hard is that and can you help me if we go that route.  I am the original owner and the combo was easy 4,56,98,76.  It has been in the storage for 4 years and I am almost positive that was the combo but it won't work. I have the two original keys as well. Thank you and God bless

Answer
Hi Kelly,

Sorry, but it is not my intent or within the scope of this general question and answer forum to teach you how to work on safe locks.    Generally the basic safe servicing course is about a week long, with the prerequisite that you are already a locksmith, basic training for this is a couple months.

You have two options, you can try to recover the combination by using the correct dialing sequence for the lock and observing the wheels, noting corresponding numbers on the dial to obtain a combination, OR
You can have a safe tech from a local safe company come out and reset it for you.

The numbers that you have provide, wouldn't be correct for a lock which was set up correctly, however, I've seen a lot of locks which were NOT assembled per the manufacturer's instructions.   The last number is NOT part of the combination, this is just a reference number, where the dial should stop.   Even if the combination were changed it would remain the same.

The correct dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to your first number, 4
3 times right to the second number, 56
2 times left to the third number, 98
and 1 time right until the dial stops (may be around 76).   On a correctly set up lock, this would be around 95, though the third number would need to be changed.     The drive wheel was probably set up, offset to allow the keys to act as a day lock, which is NOT what they were intended for.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, and right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If it doesn't dial up correctly, I recommend just take the door down to a local safe company and have them reset it for you.   The small fee to ensure that it is set right and working correctly will save you a bunch of time and headaches.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)