Locksmithing/keys for Brinks safe

Question
I am a locksmith in rural country area with little experience with safes.  A customer wants keys for his Brinks 5084D fireproof safe.  has keypad & keyway.  no manual, no keys or combo.
there is a 4 digit number on face of keyway, is this the keycode or the cuts.  in using lockcodes.com using the 4 digit # as the keycode it offers many varieties but none matching Brinks, First Alert or Honeywell (some of the other names that have come up while searching for this safe)   it shows up with the same # as the cuts.  Also very unclear which key I need to order.  Can you assist with any more info to lead me in right direct.. Is this a key that a locksmith should be able to cut. thank you

Answer
Hi Ken,

I doubt you are going to find codes for these locks in your "locksmith code books".

ALL of the Brinks, Honeywell, First Alert and similar safes were imported by SISCO Products out of southern California.    They are not very good about answering their phones, faxes or emails, so contacting them generally isn't much help.

Generally, most of these safes use Security Corp / Kumahira keys.   If you have the Ilco key blank catalog, you can find them under the "Safe Deposit" key section.   Key numbers are  SY1 to SY8.   The SY1, SY2, SY4 and SY7 are for four pin locks, and the SY3, SY5, SY6 and SY8 are five pin - though the book lists them as five and six pin - most of these locks are four and five only!

The cuts may be a direct code or they may actually be coded.   If direct cut they are:  1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9, 5/0.    If they aren't direct cuts, then you will have to impression the lock, or disassemble and make a key by hand.

As far as answering the question - "is this a key that a locksmith should be able to cut" - the short answer is yes.
Long answer - If you can't cut it, either by hand or by decoding the lock and using a code machine, then you probably shouldn't call yourself a locksmith, as making keys should have been the first thing you would have learned.

Don't think of the lock as a "safe lock", it is just a simple pin tumbler cam lock.

At a minimum, pick the lock open, remove it from the container and either decode it or cut a key by hand.    If you can't do it, you can always send the lock to me to make keys for it.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)