Locksmithing/keys for Brinks safe

I am a locksmith in rural country area with little experience with safes.  A customer wants keys for his Brinks 5084D fireproof safe.  has keypad & keyway.  no manual, no keys or combo.
there is a 4 digit number on face of keyway, is this the keycode or the cuts.  in using lockcodes.com using the 4 digit # as the keycode it offers many varieties but none matching Brinks, First Alert or Honeywell (some of the other names that have come up while searching for this safe)   it shows up with the same # as the cuts.  Also very unclear which key I need to order.  Can you assist with any more info to lead me in right direct.. Is this a key that a locksmith should be able to cut. thank you

Hi Ken,

I doubt you are going to find codes for these locks in your "locksmith code books".

ALL of the Brinks, Honeywell, First Alert and similar safes were imported by SISCO Products out of southern California.    They are not very good about answering their phones, faxes or emails, so contacting them generally isn't much help.

Generally, most of these safes use Security Corp / Kumahira keys.   If you have the Ilco key blank catalog, you can find them under the "Safe Deposit" key section.   Key numbers are  SY1 to SY8.   The SY1, SY2, SY4 and SY7 are for four pin locks, and the SY3, SY5, SY6 and SY8 are five pin - though the book lists them as five and six pin - most of these locks are four and five only!

The cuts may be a direct code or they may actually be coded.   If direct cut they are:  1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9, 5/0.    If they aren't direct cuts, then you will have to impression the lock, or disassemble and make a key by hand.

As far as answering the question - "is this a key that a locksmith should be able to cut" - the short answer is yes.
Long answer - If you can't cut it, either by hand or by decoding the lock and using a code machine, then you probably shouldn't call yourself a locksmith, as making keys should have been the first thing you would have learned.

Don't think of the lock as a "safe lock", it is just a simple pin tumbler cam lock.

At a minimum, pick the lock open, remove it from the container and either decode it or cut a key by hand.    If you can't do it, you can always send the lock to me to make keys for it.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)