Locksmithing/Major Safe Co. floor safe

Question
Hi Terry, before I hire someone I thought I'd ask.  I have a Major Safe Co. floor safe in my bathroom.  We've never had anything really valuable enough to put in it.  It was installed by the original owner of our home in ~1953.  Now we could use it.  Over the years I cleaned the floors and water must have poured onto the lid (under a circle of cutout tile). I cannot turn the door/lid of the safe freely as I have been told It should turn even when locked.  The mechanism spins freely.  Should I hire a locksmith to tempt to break into it?  By the way the Co. that took over Major Safe does have the factory combo.  I've tried WD40 Rust remover/penetrant but isn't working yet.

Thanks

Answer
Hi John,

First off, let me say that EVEN if AMSEC has the original combination, that the safe left the factory set on, there is no guarantee that in the past 62 years it has never been changed.   So you basically have a 50/50 chance that it works - either it does or it doesn't!   Even if the combination works, there is no guarantee that the bolt work isn't rusted.

If it does work, then you need to have the door serviced to get it totally operational.   NOTE:   no repair parts exist for these doors.    The repair parts that are available are for more current model doors, and the repair parts run around $400 for a repair kit.   A new door, if it is the same size, cost around $450 - so it may be cheaper to get a new door than to repair this one.

If it does NOT work, and/or open, then you are still no better off than you are now.    You may need to have it opened by a "SAFE TECHNICIAN", not a locksmith.    The last one of these doors that I was called to open - after having a locksmith work on for several days, had 16 holes drilled in it.   I've seen Swiss cheese that didn't have as many holes!

Cost to open the door will vary, depending on where you are located, so you may want to look at other options if you really need a safe to use.

It may be less expensive overall, to simply ignore that safe and get a new one.    I hate saying this, but in this case it may be better.

If you decide you need it opened, and you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend.   You can discuss the costs and options with them before making a decision.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)