Locksmithing/Shaw Walker (York) File Cabinet

Question
Shaw Walker File Cabinet
Shaw Walker File Cabin  

Shaw Walker File Cabinet 2
Shaw Walker File Cabin  
My husband and I have a Shaw Walker(York) File Cabinet that was accidentally locked, and we have not key to get in.  It appears to be a very old file cabinet that we found in the basement of our house (left by previous owners).  The cabinet has important personal documents in it, and I have been told by a local locksmith that we would have to do research to find a key.  Can't find anyone to help us with the key issue, so I found you!  I don't have much more information to provide.  i can't find a series number or have any idea what my options are for opening it.  
I have attached a picture of the cabinet, but I have more that have a close up of the lock.  There is a button, which says around the rim, "PAT. APRIL 1916" - then to the right is the actual lock.

Wendy

Answer
Hi Wendy,

your locksmith should be able to pick the lock to open the container,  however chances of finding a replacement key or lock are going to be exceedingly slim.

As you mentioned that you have important documents locked inside,  opening the container should be more important than finding a key.

If the locksmith can't open it then you may need a different locksmith.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)