Locksmithing/Wall safe - make/model, recommendations?

safe view - 1
safe view - 1  

safe view - 2
safe view - 2  
I bought a house this past year and there's a wall safe in a concrete block wall in the basement. Is there a way to find out what kind of safe this is and what recommendation do you have for getting it open w/o destroying it?

Hi Greg,

The safe isn't a "wall safe", though it is built into a wall!    This was a very inexpensive fire resistant container, manufactured by the Meilink Safe Company.    Generally these safes were sold through outlets like Sears, Montgomery Wards and similar places.

Unfortunately the serial number is not visible (if its still there), so we can't try to contact the manufacturer to see if they any records available.   Chances are they don't as they were acquired by FireKing International around 1990, and they only maintain around the last 10 years worth of records.
The serial number tag would have been on the left side of the safe, next to the upper hinge.   As someone has built the safe into the wall, it isn't accessible any longer.

Again, unfortunately, your options are going to be very limited, depending on how much you are willing to spend.    Cost to have the safe opened and the combination recovered is going to be quite a bit more than the safe is even worth - again, these were inexpensive containers (cheaply made)!

So your options are to test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations or to have it opened and repaired by a safe tech from a local safe company.

As you indicated that you don't want it destroyed, this is about it.

Sorry, I wish the answer was better, but you are limited due to the type and where it is installed.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)