Locksmithing/Macey Inter-Inter Safe

Question
Safe tag
Safe tag  

Safe
Safe  
In trying to sell a propert I've come across a safe that needs to find a new home but I'm having a hard time locating any information on it outside of the tag that's on the inside of one of the doors. I'm trying to figure out how old it is along with the material it's made of (making sure there are no harmful materials) and an approximate worth. It does have some damage to both doors at the bottom and unsure if this voids any worth. Any help is wonderful.

Answer
Hi Jenna,

Your safe was not manufactured by "Macey"!    This company was basically a manufacturer of furniture and specifically bookcases.    The insulation material "H-e-l-f-I-t-e" was supposedly invented by Mr. Wernicke, though much of his "safe" work was simply a copy of another company called The Safe Cabinet Company.
Basic History:
GLOBE-WERNICKE (mfgd safes from 1911 to 1917),  Grand Rapids, MI
  The Globe-Wernicke Company was formed sometime between 1899-1904 (two dates found) when Otto Wernicke, owner of Wernicke Furniture Co., Grand Rapids, acquired the Globe Company of Cincinnati.  Wernicke also acquired the Fred Macey Co., of Grand Rapids which also made book cases.  Globe-Wernicke was forced into receivership in 1932 because of the Great Depression.  It emerged from receivership in 1934.  In 1963 the company acquired the Weis Manufacturing Co and became Globe-Weis.  After several other mergers, Globe-Weis became part of Cardinal Brands in 2000.
  Globe-Wernicke together with its predecessor companies had engaged in the manufacture and sale of office furniture, sectional bookcases, files and equipment for many years but did not manufacture safes (similar to Safe-Cabinet safes) prior to February 1911.  The safes were practically identical to those manufactured by the Safe Cabinet Company, with the exception that they were labeled “Globe Cabinet Safe”.

Both Globe-Wernicke and The Safe Cabinet Company were know to use asbestos.    As far as "value", it will depend on whether or not it actually contains asbestos and/or its actual condition.
In general, these containers were fire resistive units ONLY, with little burglary resistance.   They do not meet any current standards for fire resistance.    They are not collectible, and are usually considered "old office equipment".

Assuming that the container has asbestos, it is still useable, however most local, state and federal regulations for the sales of, transportation of or disposal of equipment contain HAZMAT is strictly regulated.    Check your local HAZMAT regulations to find out how this may affect you.

You can either have the container tested for asbestos by using a local testing agency or by obtaining a "home test kit".    These are usually available at many Hardware stores and some pharmacies or by going to:    http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.html

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)