Locksmithing/montomery ward safe 9031

Question
was given an open mw safe with no combo. I have the locking mech. apart and out. im assuming the 5 number gaps on each of the 3 wheels. I figure the middle number would be the combo number.also how many times do I spin it between numbers? how many do I start with ect? thank you w.m

Answer
Hi Marcus,

First off, I NEVER recommend a DIY approach to safe work for the same reason that I generally don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in a very expensive lockout.    Its a lot cheaper to have a safe technician from a local safe company set it, than to mess with it and lock it up.

As far as your assumptions go, you are incorrect.    While the gate (gap) is where the lever fence engages isn't how you determine the number set on a particular wheel, however by aligning these gates and observing the corresponding number on the dial, you can come up with the combination.

Second item - NEVER spin or whirl the dial as this can cause damage to the lock.   dial smoothly.    Many of the safes that Montgomery Wards sold had plastic wheel packs, which were not designed to last for ever so the better care you take of it, the longer it will last.

The dialing sequence for your lock should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops - should be around 90.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index on the dial ring.

There is no "starting point", simply start turning the dial and count the number.   For instance if your first number is 50, turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.    Count left to 50 once, 50 twice, 50 three times, stopping on 50 the fourth time.

As you already have it apart, test dial the numbers that YOU obtain by observation.   If the lock does not unlock successfully then you need to take the safe or the door to a local safe company to have them recover or reset the combination for you.   They can ensure that the lock operates correctly and that you are dialing it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)