Locksmithing/Safe Senator MC-350

Question
While cleaning up our companys rooms we found a safe.
Its an Senator MC-350 (says the writing anyway), it has a number wheel lock and a key.
To open it you need to enter the right number and use the key.
The key is still there.

What wie found out is that the last person who was using it was trying to change the code when the phone rang, he answered the phone and someone else closed the safe.
This was some years ago.

Now i am trying to open it again, its still stuff in there but not clear what exactly.

My question: Do i have any chance to open it whitout damaging it?

thanks in advance, regards..  stali

Answer
Hi Stali,

You may have a couple problems with the safe - this is one of the reasons that I NEVER recommend combination changing as a DIY project.

Many safes have protective devices built into the safe and/or the lock.   Depending on how the person was attempting to change the combination, AND how far it was disassembled, when the door was closed these "relocking" devices may have activated.   If that is the case then your only options are going to be having the safe opened by a trained safe technician or safe engineer from a local safe company.

You can test dial all of the possible 1,000,000 combinations to see if you can either figure out where he was at in the changing procedure, or what the lock is currently set to, though having a safe technician will make it go MUCH faster.

Sorry, there isn't a quick fix, but these safety/security devices are designed to protect a safe in a burglary attempt, however they don't know the difference between someone trying to force the safe open and/or someone working on the safe - if the door is closed.

As far as opening it without damaging it - that would depend on the extent of the lock out AND the capabilities of the safe technician.

Check with your local safe companies to see what your options and costs are going to be.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)