Locksmithing/Safety deposit box identification from key

Question
Key
Key  

Key
Key  
I have a deposit box key from sonoma or santa rosa CA. My aunt has dementia, cannot remember where it is. I only have the key. I need help please.

Answer
Hi Xanthe,

Sorry but unlike the movies - it doesn't work this way.

#1 - there are NO records - anywhere - which indicate where any given safe deposit lock goes,

#2 - banks routinely rotate boxes or locks, when they are turned in after rental, so again, there are no records.

#3 - Sets of boxes are generally bought by banks when they first open, however whenever there is a merger or bank closure, customer boxes from the closing bank would be moved to a new bank or branch, nearby, again, there are no records per box or by lock.

The only info that you currently have is that the key goes to a Mosler lock, and possibly SD Box #334.

Wells Fargo Bank is a big user of Mosler locks, as is West America so you might start your search there, however in general, banks are NOT going to talk to you or answer questions about any specific safe deposit box or customer account unless "YOU" are listed as the executor of the trust, legally acting for and on behalf of your Aunt.

My first recommendation would be to go through ALL of her records to get a listing of EVERY bank that she may have done business with, this WILL give you a starting point, however (again), unless YOU are legally listed as guardian or executor of her trust, the banks may not even discuss her accounts with you.

Even having an SD Box number to check records for, they may not talk to you if you don't have the proper documentation.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of very similar situations like you are describing.    In many cases where a customer no longer maintains an account, or the accounts have been in active for a lengthy period of time, state law allows the bank to open and inventory the contents of the box, which are then forwarded to a corporate office, and then forwarded to a state office.    At every step of the way, contact with former customers is attempted and recorded very diligently.     Literally there are probably millions of dollars worth of unclaimed funds and assets at the state offices where these items are held.

I wish I could be of more help, but the system is designed this way to maintain a maximum amount of privacy for the customer.

Good luck in your search, just make sure that you have all of your paper work in order!  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)