Locksmithing/Sargent & Greenleaf combination lock lube

Question
Hi Terry,

I have a Sargent & Greenleaf lock on my ex-US State Dept (Ex US Embassy) Mosler safe.

The combination lock is pretty hard to turn - is this something that is easy to lubricate?  I don't want to get anyone into my home to do this & moving the safe is a bear.

Thanks
Evan

Answer
Hi Evan,

I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe lock work.    Lack of knowledge, tools and training can very easily result in a VERY expensive lockout - ESPECIALLY if you have a GSA rated container.

While I understand your reluctance to have someone in your home, you have limited yourself to then taking the container or the safe door to someone for service.    You can't have it both ways - if its too much trouble to move, then you will need to have someone come to you.

Your other option would be to get some training on disassembly, correct cleaning and lubrication, reassembly and resetting the lock combination.    Generally these classes are anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks in duration, and usually have the pre-requisite that you are already a locksmith or have locksmith training.

LSI Education, lists this course as 5 days and a cost of about $1250.   Their basic locksmith course is 10 days and about $2900.    These of course are on site courses, meaning you would have to travel to Kentucky, USA to take them, and of course does not include airfare or hotels.

As you can see, it would be MUCH, MUCH cheaper to simply have the work performed by a local safe company, unless you are planning on a career change.

While the container is yours, and you can attempt the service yourself if that is your choice, at a minimum - DO NOT CLOSE AND LOCK the container until AFTER you have verified proper operation.    If you don't understand the basic lock operation and/or how each part affects every other part, then I would recommend stopping and having the service done by a trained safe technician.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)