Locksmithing/Disposal of old safe

Question
Dear "Andy", I had recently jammed the door of my home safe by closing it against the contents.  While trying to open the door of the safe, later, I broke off the mechanism behind the plastic handle, leaving the handle spinning freely.  I had to call a safe and lock company to drill the lock to get access to my valuables.  My safe is a Sentry Valueguard 1250 purchased around 1980.  My question is:  Will scrap metal yards generally accept safes of this age for recycling?  When I asked the employee of the safe company he said it might contain asbestos but, if so, why didn't he wear a mask while he was drilling?

Answer
Hi Rick,

Great question!!!

There is no asbestos in this safe.    Unfortunately the majority of the safe techs and locksmiths working today, have very little, thorough knowledge about safes.   They have little "snippets" they have picked up over the years and simply assign that knowledge to all safes.

I doubt the recycling company will accept the container, unless YOU clean out all of the fire resistive insulation material, which is basically a gypsum, mortar, plaster of Paris type mix.   Most dumps will accept it as "NON-Compressible, land fill", with an extra charge.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)