Locksmithing/Harloc lock removal

Question
I would like to take your advice and remove a Harloc lock on my door.  How do you remove a deadbolt lock that has no screws and is keyed on both sides?

Answer
Hello Sam,

If your deadbolt has a removable plate around the bolt:
1. Remove the faceplate from the edge of the door
2. Using a 5/64" Allen wrench (it may need to be slightly larger or smaller), insert it next to the bolt (of the deadbolt) toward the side of the door with the keyed cylinder, unscrew the set screw.
3. Using the existing key, insert part way and use as a screwdriver to unscrew the cylinder.
4. Remove the screws from the inside thumbturn (or repeat steps 2 and 3 for the interior cylinder).
5. Remove the screws that face the inside which go through the bolt mechanism.
6. Slide bolt out of housing.
7. Slide the housing out.

Some deadbolts have what look like holes in the inside cylinder housing.  Inserting a key and turning it will move a plate behind the outer plate which will reveal the mounting screws.

If your deadbolt has no removable plate around the bolt:
1. Pry off the trim plate on the inside cylinder.
2. You will see the mounting screws below it.
3. Remove those screws and you can get the rest.

James

Locksmithing

James