Locksmithing/Keep Safe Wall Safe

We have a wall safe, don't know who manufacturer is, but on the front it says Keep/Safe.  It has a dial and then you push in the corner to open.  Needless to say we can't find the manual, but we have the combination written down as 51 L 3R 53 L.  Nothing stating number of turns.  Tried this numerous times, nothing, tried  turning 3 times and stopping L to #, two times to 2nd # and 2 times R stopping at number.  Tried reversing and going other direction.  There is no handles, just a spot that says push here to open. There is no serial number on the door either. I have looked every where on internet to troubleshoot.  Don't know what else to do.  Could the latch just be stuck since it hasn't been opened in a long time?

Hello Evalie,

Unfortunately, a number of manufacturers use the name "Keep Safe" - is simply is like having a name like Smith or Jones - just because you have it doesn't mean that you are related to any other Smith or Jones!

The best I can offer is to look at it to see what you have, and/or see if we can figure out who made it.

Standard dialing for most safe locks is as follows, and using the numbers you have provided you might test dial it to see if it works - if not you aren't any worse off than previously.

4 times left to the first number,  51
3 times right to the second number, 3
2 times left to the third number,  53
1 time right until the dial stops - should be around 90

Note:   left is counter clockwise and right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance for your first number, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 51 arrives at the 12 o'clock mark.    There is no "starting" point, simply begin turning counter clockwise and count 51 once, 51 twice, 51 three times, stopping the fourth time that 51 arrives at the index mark.

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock won't open, in order they are:
1.  incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

at this point there is nothing to lead me to believe anything other than you are possibly dialing it wrong.
"IF" you are dialing it correctly, then chances are you may have the numbers wrong - trust me it happens to all of us.    I couldn't open one of my safes a couple weeks ago because I couldn't remember the correct order for the numbers, even though I knew all four numbers.  Took me a couple days to sort it out and remember the numbers in the right order.

If you still can't get it open, I'll need to see some photos of the safe to try to get a better idea of what you have.   Send them to me at:   andy#securitysafeusa.com

Worse case, you may have to have a safe tech from a local safe company check it out for you.

hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)