Locksmithing/need help unlocking Mosler Combination Safe Without the known combination

Question
hello , I was given a Vintage Antique  Mosler fire/burglary  combination floor safe.It had been in a Restaurant for some-odd 30 to 40 years...My friend who owned the place said he had forgotten it years ago and also said he could not remember if anything was in it!( He laughed}So here I am with a nice combo safe , don't have combo , and cannot open it.....Can you maybe help ?? I noticed two small metal plates attached to the front of the safe. One is at the top and other is at the bottom.....Did perhaps  Mosler put the numbers on a "Quote" model number plate and when reversed would be factory set code to use if combo lost ?? The numbers are 337950 and I was thinking 0 95 37 3 or maybe 0 95 3 73 ....It has a lot of play at the 95 number.I don't want to do anything but unlock it...Locksmiths in town have a bunch of weird and very costly ideas that would damage and lessen the value. As well as since I don't know there is or is not anything in the safe I do not want them to get $300 and one half of any valuables inside Please, let me hear from you as soon as possible either thru email or text or email to my phone ! Thank you so very much .....Jack

Answer
Hi Jackie,

first off as you safe didn't come from a grape harvest,  or wine bottling it can't possibly be "Vintage".   Secondly, with a serial number of 337950 the safe is ONLY late 1930's or early 40's.   As it is NOT over 100 years old it can't be an antique safe.    While it is older, it may not even be collectible.

As for the combination,  manufacturers set every safe on an individual and unique combination.    The only way the serial number relates to the combination is through the manufacturer.    They could check the original records to find out what combination the safe left the factory set on.

As Mosler has been out of business for about 15 years now, contacting them is going to be difficult.     Manufacturers also never publish any records concerning their safes for obvious security and liability reasons.

This basically leaves you with two options,  you can test all of the possible combinations until you find the correct one,  or you can contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open the safe for you.

Having the safe opened by a trained safe technician should not damage the safe or lessen any value - though as of now,  it basically has a negative value - that being the cost to open and repair the safe.

Note:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training or knowledge to work on them without causing excessive damage,  I also don't recommend using anyone who wants 1/2 of the contents.   Doesn't matter whats in the safe, it isn't theirs and that doesn't exhibit a very professional demeanor.

Sorry there aren't any magic fixes, but at least now you should have a better understanding of where you stand.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)