Locksmithing/How to open Chubb combination safe

Question
Chubb
Chubb  
Hi Sir,
         I just get Chubb safe from my friend, that he forget the number to unlock the safe . He said that  40,50,60 ( right,left,right) standard combination .I try,but still can't . I also do know how to open . It is my 1st having safe  box.
        Can u kindly advice me how to  open it n what is the serial number and name of this Chubb model.

UK

Answer
Hello Uthaya,

to my knowledge this Chubb lock is a four wheel lock and the dialing sequence should be as follows:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops.   Turn handle to open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise,  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

There are ONLY three reasons a safe lock won't open, in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors.    This could even include not being able to open the combo provided by a previous owner.    Generally combinations were passed along the way the previous owner understood it, and NOT necessarily the way the lock actually operates.

2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers.

3.  Mechanical problems.

Right now it appears to be more of a dialing error - thing.

Many times on a four wheel lock, owners didn't want the additional dialing, so two of the wheels would be set on the same number, so using the numbers provided, I would test dial it as both LRLR and as RLRL -

5 times Right to the first number,  40
3 times Left to the second number,  50
2 times Right to the third number,  60
1 time Left until the dial stops  (may be around 10).

If this doesn't work, try dialing it as:

5 times Left to the first number,   40
3 times Right to the second number, 50
2 times Left to the third number,   60
1 time Right until the dial stops   (may be around 90)

If you still have trouble with it and/or can't get it open, then I would recommend you contact a friend of mine in Singapore to have them look at it:

Siah's Old Safe Service
Desmond or David  Siah

Showroom & Office is located at
No 50, Serangoon North Avenue 4
First Centre (Near Northstar)
#06-09 S555856

Showroom
333A Orchard Road
Mandarin Gallery #03-24
Singapore 238897

Hope this helps,  If not give David or Desmond a call and have them check your safe out.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)