Locksmithing/Protectall Safe

QUESTION: I have always kept my safe easy to open at work without using the combination.  Someone turned the dial and now I cannot find the combination to reopen it.  Because I haven't used the combination more that 2 in the past 20 years, I do not remember the combination except that it had 4 numbers.
Is it possible for you to help me open it as a locksmith told me he would have to destroy it to open it then I would have to purchase a new one.  I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.
I would appreciate any and all help you can give me.
Thank you

ANSWER: No competent safe technician EVER has to destroy a safe to open it.

The Protectall name has been used by a couple of different manufacturers.

Some of which are still in business and will send you the combination afte you do a little paperwork.

Can you post 2 pics? One of the whole safe and a closeup of the dial and handle.

Full Front View
Full Front View  
Close up
Close up  
Here are the pictures you requested. Thank you for taking time to assist me. Hope to hear from you with good news soon.

ANSWER: That was made by the Mosler Safe Company. They ceased operations about 2001.

We would start by trying to dial the safe lock open.

That works on these safes about 70% of the time.

Otherwise, we would drill a hole about the size of a pencil eraser and use a scope to look inside the lock and determine the combination. Then we would set a new combination and plug the hole with a steel pin.

A good resource for finding a safe tech is SAVTA.org.

What city/state  are you in? I may know someone there.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Thanks for getting back to me once again.
I'm in
Whitney, Ontario Canada (6 kms from the Eastern entrance to Algonquin Park)
To open trying to dial the safe lock open, can you hear when you reach the number as I can borrow a stethoscope from a friend. Maybe I could
open it with your help or if you know of anyone close or fairly close it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for all your assistance.
Take care and have a great day.

A stethoscope would be a waste of your time. That's just on TV. I posted on one of my safe groups to see who is in your area.

Kelly Dyson at Dysonsafe.com in Ottawa would be your best bet.

I've emailed him and he does travel to your part of the country.

Hope this helps.

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies