Locksmithing/Swapping combo lock to digital lock.

Question
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to replace a combo lock to a digital on a Mosler FS-2R? Lock functions perfect, somewhat time consuming. Thanks,Rodney

Answer
Hi Rodney,

Short answer - MAYBE!   Depends on what lock is installed and/or whether you are equipped to make the necessary modifications.

Problem is that Mosler made their own locks, most of which did NOT use the "standard" mounting foot print.

If the lock on the container is a Mosler 302/402 series lock - should be no problem.    If it isn't, then it may be necessary to drill and tap new mounting holes or to install a new lock mounting plate.
Second problem is the spindle hole.    As many Mosler containers use a 1/4" spindle, the holes were also fairly small.    In order to pass the pre-made cables for most locks through the spindle hole, it may be necessary to re-drill it to a larger diameter.    Mosler used some really nasty hard plate on many of their safes, and drilling these holes may be difficult and/or require special drill bits.

While a larger, well trained safe company can easily make all of the necessary modifications, this may not be something that you can take on as a DIY project and/or have a local safe or locksmith company do.

hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)