Locksmithing/all the emails you are getting

Question
Hi Andy, I'm the one responsible for all of the emails you have gotten from JOHNS with two numbers after them.  They are 8th grade students.  I brought in my very old Victor safe.  They have been researching the history of the company and how the safe works.  I have a partial combnation which the previous owner is not sure if the middle number is correct.  I have been in procession of the safe ever since I bout my house in 2002.  The owners could not move it and gave it to me for 40 buck.  I have no clue what is inside and the previous owner believes it is empty.  They were an older couple and have since passed away.  I contacted you in 2006 and never followed up with the picture you requested because life got in the way.  I'm sorry if the emails from my students are jamming you up. And understand if you don't have time to reply to them.  I just wanted you to give you a heads up..

Answer
Hi John,

No Problem, I'm glad they are so enthusiastic.

Basic History:

Victor Safe & Lock Company, Cincinnati, OH
1885 to 1920

They were acquired by The Safe Cabinet Company in 1920, though manufacturing continued at the original factory until 1926 when The Safe Cabinet Company and its subsidiary companies was acquired by Rand-Kardex (Remington-Rand), and moved to the Marietta, Oh factory location.

Based on the serial number of your safe, it would have been built around the 1910 to 1915 time frame, so it is considered antique (over 100 years old).

In the previous postings I provided the dialing sequences and some thoughts on setting up a spread sheet of test combinations.   If you have a possible number, you can simply insert it into that portion of the spreadsheet to come up with various test combinations - though you are still looking at around 10,000 combinations.   Skipping every other number would drop that number down to around 2500 possible combinations.

I also send a web page url for you to check out, which gives some basic understanding of lock operation - though this is NOT the lock installed on your safe, it still gives you a very basic understanding of the lock operation.

I'm glad to see the kids interested in this.    This is basically how I got interested and started in the industry.   I've been active now for around 43 years.    It's more of a hobby that I get paid to do.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)