Locksmithing/Globe-Wernicke Company Safe

Question
Globe
Globe  

Globe 2
Globe 2  
Good afternoon! I'm recently found a Globe-Wernicke Company safe at an antique store and was interested to see if you are able to give me any information about it from the photos I've attached! I'm mostly interested in seeing if it was considered a fire safe at one time (therefore containing asbestos). I also was interested in the complexity of Yale lock. The combination is not known, so I was interested in a rough guess as to what I should expect the cost of having a lock smith open it. Any additional information about this cabinet safe would also be welcomed! Thanks

Answer
Hi Reagan,

I'm not sure why you assumed that the safe would contain "ASBESTOS", just because it was  "built as a fire safe, and THEREFORE contained Asbestos".    Only a very small number of manufactures actually used asbestos.    The majority of fire resistive safes built never used asbestos as an insulation media.

Now if you had prefaced the claim as "due to its being made by "Globe Wernicke", then you would be absolutely correct as Globe Wernicke was a known user of asbestos as an insulation.

As Globe Wernicke manufactured safes from 1911 to about 1917, it may be an antique, however due to its use of asbestos it really isn't considered a collectible.

The safe is considered a "cabinet" rather than a safe, and was only used for secure storage of documents mainly from fire.    It was not designed to house any valuables for burglary protection.

You've provided two photos of the safe - one of the exterior and one of the interior, suggesting that it is open.    So, I'm kind of confused as to why you think you would need it opened.   If it is locked shut, then you will need a safe technician and NOT a locksmith to open it.   If it is open, it is relatively easy for a safe technician to recover or reset the combination on the lock and to ensure it is operational.
"IF" the safe is locked shut, you can expect to pay between $350 to $500 to have it opened and the combination recovered, WITHOUT ruining it.   Generally I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they usually don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.

Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local safe companies.   If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

If you haven't purchased it yet, and "IF" it is locked up, my recommendation would be to save your money and keep looking for a much better safe.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)