Locksmithing/Remington Rand File Cabinet

Hi Terry,

We have an old four drawer Remington Rand File Cabinet (the 5' dark green one)in very good condition. My 80 year old father managed to do something to the second drawer (but does not know what he did) and now it won't close. We have tried everything (I think)and even looked for fallen objects with no success. It is only effecting one drawer. My Dad loves this cabinet and will not let it go. Do you know if there are any Remington Rand Cabinet repair companies in the Massachusetts area (near Boston) that will repair this drawer. This seems to be an unusual trade to have.
Thank you :)

Hi Lydia,

Sorry but Remington-Rand quit making these cabinets around 1956 after they were merged with the Sperry Corp. to become Sperry-Rand.

Parts haven't been available for them in at least that amount of time, except as donor parts off old units.

So finding a company to work on the container shouldn't be a problem - finding replacement parts if necessary is going to be "slim to none available"!

As far as your father having an "attachment" to the container, this company was a known user of asbestos as an insulation media.    Servicing and/or repairing may expose the insulation, depending on what the actual problem is.

As Asbestos IS a HAZMAT item (Hazardous Material), sales of, transportation of and/or disposal of the container is strictly regulated.    You can't just haul it off to the dump and/or sell the unit.    Check your local and state ordinances to find out what your options and/or requirements are.    Failure to comply with, can be VERY expensive.

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Hanover Safe & Lock Co.
Lock Defeat Technology
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

Phil Shearer

If Phil can't help, he might know of someone closer that he would recommend.    Hopefully it is something simple.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)