Locksmithing/Remington Rand File Cabinet

Question
Hi Terry,

We have an old four drawer Remington Rand File Cabinet (the 5' dark green one)in very good condition. My 80 year old father managed to do something to the second drawer (but does not know what he did) and now it won't close. We have tried everything (I think)and even looked for fallen objects with no success. It is only effecting one drawer. My Dad loves this cabinet and will not let it go. Do you know if there are any Remington Rand Cabinet repair companies in the Massachusetts area (near Boston) that will repair this drawer. This seems to be an unusual trade to have.
Thank you :)

Answer
Hi Lydia,

Sorry but Remington-Rand quit making these cabinets around 1956 after they were merged with the Sperry Corp. to become Sperry-Rand.

Parts haven't been available for them in at least that amount of time, except as donor parts off old units.

So finding a company to work on the container shouldn't be a problem - finding replacement parts if necessary is going to be "slim to none available"!

As far as your father having an "attachment" to the container, this company was a known user of asbestos as an insulation media.    Servicing and/or repairing may expose the insulation, depending on what the actual problem is.

As Asbestos IS a HAZMAT item (Hazardous Material), sales of, transportation of and/or disposal of the container is strictly regulated.    You can't just haul it off to the dump and/or sell the unit.    Check your local and state ordinances to find out what your options and/or requirements are.    Failure to comply with, can be VERY expensive.

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Hanover Safe & Lock Co.
Lock Defeat Technology
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

Phil Shearer
781-871-4346

If Phil can't help, he might know of someone closer that he would recommend.    Hopefully it is something simple.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)