Locksmithing/SCHWAB 5000 combo file cabinet safe

Question
schwab5000
schwab5000  
Unable to open safe with combo. I've had this safe for almost 15 years sitting in the garage because its too heavy to get an army to move it elsewhere. Hubby and I are clearing and purging in preparation for a move. I removed all content from it and closed file cabinet drawer(s) in hopes that the combo would open it up, first attempt in 15 yrs. Well maybe I'm not rotating/spinning combo pattern correctly.
combo is 40R, 30L, 20R...Please advise correct order or a tech in the MD/DC/VA area that can assist with opening.
Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Answer
Hi Dana,

There are ONLY three reasons a safe lock won't open, in order they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.   mechanical problems.

In this case (assuming the numbers are correct), you are dialing it backwards.    The correct dialing sequence for the lock on the container are:

4 times LEFT to the first number, 40
3 times RIGHT to the second number, 30
2 times LEFT to the third number, 20
1 time RIGHT until the dial stops - should be between 80-90

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the index mark.

Problem area when dialing - after you have dialed four times to the first number "40", when you reverse directions the second number "30" comes up real quick - in fact in 10 numbers - THAT IS the first time for that number.   DO NOT count revolutions of the dial.

If you still can't get it open, you may need a safe tech to check it out,   Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults".   If you don't have one, let me know your zip code and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)