Locksmithing/Star ES-10 safe

Question
Star ES-10
Star ES-10  
I inherited a small Star ES-10 safe. It has a dial and keyed fence. I have the key, but not the combination. From research, I believe it has 3 wheels, but can't find enough information about it to know if its a spring loaded fence or direct entry. Not being a real expensive heavy duty safe, and when I turn the key to make contact with (I believe is) the wheel pack it definitely binds. Leads me to believe it's a direct entry. Being pretty handy, I wanted to take a shot at manipulating the combination, but can't find any information about it. What I've read is Amsec bought Star Safe around the 60's or 70's, but had a major fire in the 80's and lost all information prior to serial number 350000. This one is 248402 (picture enclosed). Some help is greatly appreciated.

Bradley

Answer
Hi Brad,

the safe was not manufactured by AMSEC or STAR,    This is one of the Japanese imports they "relabeled".

It is a "straight tail piece" type lock, with 3 wheels.    Due to the design,  there are two combinations - LRL & RLR, that will open it.
for yor test combinations stick with one or the other.

The dialing sequence is:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right to the third number - stop - turn key to open.

Note:  left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise, do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

You can set up a spread sheet with the possible test combinations.

If you think you can manipulate it, go for it, you should have all the necessary information you need at this point.

Note:  for obvious security and liability reasons we do not provide any additional information about opening safes other than the proper dialing sequence for the lock we believe is installed on your safe.

Hope this helps.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)