Locksmithing/Asbestos?-used 1940's-1950's Shaw Walker

Question
safe
safe  

safe2
safe2  
HI Andy,
I'm looking at buying a used Shaw Walker large safe, 25" X 27" X 52", probably 1940's-1950's.  But Im concerned about asbestos in its walls.  Can you tell me for sure that they never used asbestos like I saw in a post somewhere??  Local lock guy tells me they did, and if so I think I'll pass
on the purchase.
Thx
Ed

Answer
Hi Ed,

Most "local" locksmiths don't actually do any research, and usually just pass on "something they heard".    I prefer to at least give you an answer based on some actual research.

The "Shaw-Walker Company" began with its founding in 1903.  The company was mainly interested in making metal office furniture, which included desks, chairs, file cabinets and even a small line of safes.
While their equipment WAS extremely similar to most other equipment that was made at that time, and for the next 87 years, I'm not familiar with their ever using "ASBESTOS" as an insulation material in any of their equipment.  

The Department of Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO), which processes equipment from one military entity over to almost anyone else, has a listing of equipment which MAY have asbestos, which would have to be "FLAGGED" for disposal.  The "Shaw-Walker Company" is not one of the companies listed.
While this DOES NOT mean that they never used asbestos, it only means that equipment which was procured by the military or GSA for government use, from this company, was NEVER known to contain asbestos.   In general, if they weren't including it for use in equipment designated for military use, they wouldn't have used it for equipment in civilian use, as much of this type of equipment found its way into other government offices.

Short answer - This is not a company that I would necessarily worry about.  

HOWEVER, if you actually have any concerns, have a sample of the insulation material from your container tested for asbestos.   if you don't have a local testing agency, you can always obtain a "home test kit" from Lowes, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, CVS Pharmacies and many more similar stores, or by going on line to:   http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

If you are considering buying the container, have the owner test the insulation in the safe to determine and/or eliminate the possibility of the container having asbestos.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)