Locksmithing/Diebold Safe

Question
Diebold Safe
Diebold Safe  

Diebold safe 2
Diebold safe 2  
Hi Andy. My husband is the director of maintenance at my local hospital. They came across an old Diebolds safe in a house they purchased. In my nosing around, I've been reading that often Diebolds safes came with "default" combinations. Can you shed any light on this safe?

Thanks,
Christina

Answer
Hi Christina,

Other than on the internet and in the movies indicating a "default combination" - there is no such thing.

Every safe left the factory with its own unique and individual combination.    Standard combinations locks give manufacturers close to 1,000,000 possible combinations before having to duplicate one.   As many of the manufacturers only built 5000 to 8000 safes each year, you can see that they could go decades without duplicating a combo.

Second item - They also NEVER published any listings of combinations for safes,  serial numbers or any other similar items for obvious security and liability reasons.

This pretty much limits you to two options.    You can either test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations or you can have a safe technician from a local Safe company.

Problems.    This is a medium security safe equivalent to a UL TL-15 safe, and it is obsolete - there are no parts available.    Cost to open it up could run in the $500 to $1000 range plus any parts to repair it - and they may not be available.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local company.   If you don't have one, then I'll need a zip code where you are located, to see who I might know and/or recommend.

hope this helps get you started in the right direction.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)