Locksmithing/Diebold Safe

Diebold Safe
Diebold Safe  

Diebold safe 2
Diebold safe 2  
Hi Andy. My husband is the director of maintenance at my local hospital. They came across an old Diebolds safe in a house they purchased. In my nosing around, I've been reading that often Diebolds safes came with "default" combinations. Can you shed any light on this safe?

Hi Christina,

Other than on the internet and in the movies indicating a "default combination" - there is no such thing.

Every safe left the factory with its own unique and individual combination.    Standard combinations locks give manufacturers close to 1,000,000 possible combinations before having to duplicate one.   As many of the manufacturers only built 5000 to 8000 safes each year, you can see that they could go decades without duplicating a combo.

Second item - They also NEVER published any listings of combinations for safes,  serial numbers or any other similar items for obvious security and liability reasons.

This pretty much limits you to two options.    You can either test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations or you can have a safe technician from a local Safe company.

Problems.    This is a medium security safe equivalent to a UL TL-15 safe, and it is obsolete - there are no parts available.    Cost to open it up could run in the $500 to $1000 range plus any parts to repair it - and they may not be available.

Check your local yellow pages under safes & vaults for a local company.   If you don't have one, then I'll need a zip code where you are located, to see who I might know and/or recommend.

hope this helps get you started in the right direction.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)