Locksmithing/Eagle floor safe circa 1979

QUESTION: Hi Andy,  
Your  prompt and detailed explanation is greatly appreciated. I followed your instructions carefully and unfortunately have had no success in opening the safe.  The numbers are correct and properly sequenced. I must conclude a mechanical problem.  Who would ever imagine that a safe needed servicing?  
Please recommend technicians from Westchester, New York and lower Connecticut areas that could help.
Zip codes:  10576, 06903, 06883

Many thanks for your advice.

ANSWER: Hi Joan,

Here are two companies in your area.   You can contact both companies to discuss your safe with, and then choose from between them.    Generally a rule of thumb that I recommend in choosing is by their method of pricing.    Someone that indicates that they charge by the hour has no incentive for opening and repairing your safe in a timely manner.   The more time they spend the more they can charge you and/or it may indicate that they don't really know what they are doing.

A company that offers you a "Flat Rate" - while it may initially seem more expensive - at least you know up front what to expect - WORST CASE - as far as the cost.   There also should be NO hidden charges.    For instance my FLAT Rate for your safe includes opening AND repairing the safe.   The only additional costs would be the mobile service charge (trip fee) and any necessary parts.   While the opening and repairing charges may be listed separately, you should STILL know up front what it will cost.

If you have any questions concerning either methods of opening your safe and/or charges, feel free to run them by me first before having the work done.

Capital Safe & Lock Company
888-870-LOCK          John Labbe
77K Tolland Tnpke
Manchester, CT  06040

Connecticut Lock & Safe Company
860-870-4444          David Hovey
116 Doyle Road
Tolland, Connecticut  06084

Hope this helps,

Both companies you suggest are located near the Connecticut/Massachusetts border and will require a 2 hour drive to me in Westchester County, NY.  This would considerably increase the cost to any Flat Rate offered.  Could you possibly recommend companies located in closer proximity to Bedford, NY?  Should the first suggested companies be your preferred safe "experts", I will certainly contact them.  Many thanks.

Nearby cities:   Danbury,Ct.  06810
         Stamford,Ct.  06903
         White Plains,NY  10603
         Brewster,NY. 10509

Hi Joan,

As I'm not familiar with the New York area your giving me towns which are "close by" doesn't help me.    Simply give me YOUR zip code and I'll give you a list of companies that I would recommend.

While I understand that it may be a drive, if professional safe techs were on every corner it wouldn't be an issue, unfortunately most locksmiths are NOT safe technicians.   While many of the smaller companies pretty much stick to their small service areas the larger companies are used to driving.    I have about a 120,000 square mile area that I cover.   Its not unusual for me to drive 400 to 500 miles every day, with some days having a 1000 mile round trip!

I understand that it will potentially add to the cost of opening your safe, but your choices are having some hack, untrained person destroying your safe or having a professional safe tech open it without ruining it.    While there are possibly many smaller shops closer to you, I only present you with companies that I feel are capable of doing the work in a professional manner.    In addition to the ones listed I've added two more.   Precision Lock and safe would be my number one choice, but they may be further away than the others and will possibly charge more, but I know that they WILL provide some of the best service.

Precision Lock & Safe
516-616-0854          Elaad & Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY  11001

S.G. Clark Safe services
(845) 855-9046          Scott Clark
7 Sage Rd.
Pawling, NY  12564

So now you have four companies to discuss the project with.   If they can't help you, THEY may know of someone closer to you.

Hope this helps

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)