Locksmithing/Eagle safe circa 1979

This floor safe has been in use and was recently opened about 4 months ago. Serial # 0011146.  Combination will not open it now, after many tries and also trying with reverse directions. Are the numbers of left/right turns standardized for all combinations?  Possibly this is my error. Can you suggest the proper count for direction turns between 39-29-11-95?  Or any other help.
Should this problem be a mechanical one, please suggest a source in the New York area. Thank you.

Hi Joan,

there are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock won't open correctly - in order they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.   mechanical problems.

At this point I would possibly suspect items 1 & 2, however as old as the safe maybe and as it probably hasn't been serviced - ever,  it could also be a mechanical problem.  

In general, with the combination you provided and assuming that the lock is an S&G 6730 series or similar lock, the dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number, 39
3 times right to the second number, 29
2 times left to the third number, 11
1 time right slowly until the dial stops - should be about 95.    this number isn't part of the actual combination, its simply a reference point where you should expect the dial to stop at - or about.

Note:    Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance for your first number, just start dialing counter clockwise and stop the FOURTH time the number 39 ARRIVES at the index mark - or,   left to 39 once, 39 twice, 39 three times, stopping on 39 the fourth time.

similarly dial the other numbers of the combination.    If it still doesn't open, then you either have the wrong numbers or they are out of order, or a mechanical problem.

as far as recommending someone in the New York area - New York is a big state - I'll need a little more info to narrow it down - zip code should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)