Locksmithing/info on old cary safe

Question
A friend of mine inherited an old Cary safe from his great-grandfather.  Unfortunately no combination has benn found for it.I myself am a certified locksmith so he thought I might be able to help. I however do not know much about them. The number on the handle is 59831. I would like to be able to help him open this safe.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Answer
Hi Sammy,

While I understand your willingness to help, hopefully you understand that for security and liability reasons, other than ID-ing the safe we don't give out ANY opening information, including drill points etc.

Based on the serial number that you have provide, I would expect the lock installed to be a Cary C-5 lock.   The safe was made around 1899 so it is an antique.

Note:   As this is an antique safe, and as parts are NOT going to be available, anything that you do to open the safe should not ruin or do any damage that is not totally repairable.

Ruining an antique safe should be punishable by death, but I haven't been able to get congress to pass the law yet!

The Cary C-5 lock is a straight tailpiece type lock, this is a three wheel lock with a front mounted drive wheel, which has nine false gates.     A similar safe was at last years SAVTA convention in Reno, NV.    No one was able to manipulate it open during the week long convention.   It was finally opened by one safe man at the ALOA convention a month or so later.

With a 100 number dial, this would give you 1,000,000 possible combinations - if you can figure out which one of the 10 gate positions is the correct one.

Note:   I NEVER recommend learning on someone's safe, regardless of how good a friend they are.   Ruining an antique safe could cost your friend thousands of dollars in potential value, plus how do you replace a safe owned by his great-grandfather???   Can't be done.

If you don't have the tools and knowledge, then I would recommend that YOU recommend that he contact a trained safe technician, to have the safe opened and repaired correctly.

Hopefully this will be the incentive safe, that will get you to finally jump up your game to get the extra training you need to do safe work.

Good luck with it - remember what Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) said - "A man's GOT to know his limitations"!

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)