Locksmithing/Macey inter-nter safe

back of lock
back of lock  
I have this safe (#526). It has a S&G dial with no change mark. The back of th elock has been removed and the wheel pack is gone. All that is left is the drive cam and the lever and the bolt.  I would like to know how to get a replacement lock.  Not sure how to identify what model S&G I need.

Any help would be appreciated,  Tom

Hi Tom,

The manufacturer of the safe was probably the Safe Cabinet Company of Marietta, OH., prior to 1926.

The dial is not the original one, it has been replaced at some point.   The original dial was a removable, 50 number dial.   

The lock is possibly an S&G C85 series lock, with Brass case, three "pin-hole" change wheels.   (this is why there is no second index mark on the dial ring.   Changing indices are not required for any hand change type lock, which would include pin-hole type.

The lock is also NOT an "E-lock", which would indicate an "Electronic Lock".    I don't know where you came up that one.

You are probably not going to find parts, and it may be difficult to find a complete replacement lock unless you find a similar safe to use for "donor parts".

I won't be in the office until next Monday, but you can send an email directly to me to remind me to look through my old parts to see if I have one of these old locks available.

Send the email and photos to me at:

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)