Locksmithing/Meilink safe

I bought an old Meilink Safe and the tumblers for the lock were taken out and put in a pile.  
Is there a place that I can see how the parts are put back together?  Really, I do not know if all of the parts are there.
I think the lock is a Yale lock.

Hi Fred,

While there are possibly some internet postings and/or U-tube videos, most of them don't actually give you the information that you need.    Classes in "BASIC" safe lock servicing are about 1 week long, and most have the pre-requisite that you have had instruction as, or are working as a locksmith.

There are no "individual" lock manuals available.

As a "non-safe technician", if you don't know what you are actually looking at, and/or know if pieces are missing, then you are simply wasting your time.

Generally I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using most locksmiths for safe work.    lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in a VERY expensive lockout.

While I do applaud your wanting to make this a DIY project, you would be much further ahead by simply having a trained safe tech check it out and repair or replace the lock.   Replacement WILL depend on what you actually have.   There are no new Yale locks, and many of the current locks don't use the same mounting footprint as the Yale locks.

Cost for you to get the training just to rebuild this lock would far outweigh the benefits and/or the cost to have it done by a local safe technician, UNLESS you are planning on this becoming a hobby or new career, then you will need the training anyway.

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local safe company.   Contact them to have their trained safe technician check out your safe.    If the door is small enough, you can remove it and take it in separately, saving some of the cost for the mobile service.
If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps get you going in the right direction.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)