Locksmithing/Mortise Lock

Question
I recently purchased and installed an Emtek Manhattan Mortise lock from the House of Antique Hardware to replace a damaged set.

Now when I turn the deadbolt it triggers the push button lock, which locks the knob, and means we can't open the unlocked door.  

I contacted customer service to see if I had done something wrong, but they advised that I have installed it correctly and just need to remember to push the button back when I leave the house.  But since we lock the door from the outside, there is no way to push the button.  

My question is, can you recommend a way to override the push buttons so they don't activate with the deadbolt?  Our old set only locked the knob when you pushed the button on purpose, so I would think it must be possible.  

Thank you in advance for any help.

Answer
Hello Stephanie,

I've checked my resources and also checked an Emtek mortise lock we have on display and even it's doing the same thing.

It appears that there are two functions for the lock in question: F13 and F20. These are ANSI (American National Standards Institute) numbers that reference the specific function of locks.

F13 is a lock that is operated from either side except when outside knob or lever is locked by projecting the deadbolt, either by using the inside thumbturn or the outside key. When locked and the key is used in the outside cylinder, the deadbolt is retracted followed by the latch bolt. When locked and the inside knob or lever is operated from the inside, the bolt and latch bolt are retracted at the same time.

F20 is a lock that is operated from either side except when outside knob or lever is locked by projecting the deadbolt, either by using the inside thumbturn or the outside key, or when the stopworks (the push button) is depressed. When locked and the key is used in the outside cylinder, the deadbolt is retracted by the latch bolt remains fixed. When locked and the inside knob or lever is used, the deadbolt and latch bolt are retracted at the same time. The stopworks remain locked until manually changed. This type of lock is used as a privacy lock as well as an entry lock such as those used on college dorms.

THe F13 function has no stopworks.

Since there are two options to this type of lock you need to contact Emtek or the company you purchased the lock from and see if you can get a replacement lock body. There is no way to modify your current lock body without possible permanent damage to it.

I hope this helps.

James

Locksmithing

James