Locksmithing/Old Bank Deposit Safe

I run the Recreation Dept in our town, we have recently taken over an old bank bldg. and have a safe ( deposit chute) I need more information on.
There are only 2 labels still on it. 1. says : Underwriters Lab Inc, Relocking Device Listed 752202, the 2nd says: Safe Manufacterer National Association, Spec M 48929, Deposit Chute Container, SMNA Group 12, Cat.No 12659.

We are hoping to get it removed but because the building is town owned, we need to figure out value, avenues of removal, resale etc... Any chance you can point me in the right direction? Additional info needed?

Hi Emy,

Sounds like you have a Night Depository or After Hours Depository.    The labels you are quoting are simply testing agencies, and other wise have nothing to do with the safe or the depository head.

Removal will depend on how the container is installed.    If it is a stand-alone unit, the head and safe can be removed separately.    If the container is encased in concrete, it may need to be jackhammered out.   Removal will depend on how it is installed.

I would recommend that you contact the following company to have them take a look at the container to see what would be necessary to remove the container.

Hanover Lock & Safe Company
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

as far as value - it would depend on what you actually have.   As the safe has an SMNA label attached, it is PRE-1960's, so chances are it does not meet any current standards.   As such, most safe companies are probably going to charge you to haul it away, for disposal.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)