Locksmithing/Old Bank Deposit Safe

Question
I run the Recreation Dept in our town, we have recently taken over an old bank bldg. and have a safe ( deposit chute) I need more information on.
There are only 2 labels still on it. 1. says : Underwriters Lab Inc, Relocking Device Listed 752202, the 2nd says: Safe Manufacterer National Association, Spec M 48929, Deposit Chute Container, SMNA Group 12, Cat.No 12659.

We are hoping to get it removed but because the building is town owned, we need to figure out value, avenues of removal, resale etc... Any chance you can point me in the right direction? Additional info needed?

Answer
Hi Emy,

Sounds like you have a Night Depository or After Hours Depository.    The labels you are quoting are simply testing agencies, and other wise have nothing to do with the safe or the depository head.

Removal will depend on how the container is installed.    If it is a stand-alone unit, the head and safe can be removed separately.    If the container is encased in concrete, it may need to be jackhammered out.   Removal will depend on how it is installed.

I would recommend that you contact the following company to have them take a look at the container to see what would be necessary to remove the container.

Hanover Lock & Safe Company
781-871-4346
990 Washington St.
Hanover, MA 02339

as far as value - it would depend on what you actually have.   As the safe has an SMNA label attached, it is PRE-1960's, so chances are it does not meet any current standards.   As such, most safe companies are probably going to charge you to haul it away, for disposal.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)