Locksmithing/original key for Edwards & Holman safe

Question
door of safe with keyway
door of safe with keyw  

functioning steel key
functioning steel key  
About 20 years ago I found and purchased this ca. 1849 Edwards & Holman key operated safe in Portland, OR.  It is in reasonable condition and needs minor restoration.  I have information that will guide repairs in all matters, except the key.  The safe has an odd shaped entry keyway that is close to 3/16 inch wide and 7/8 inch tall.  I have a working skeleton of a key made in the 1950's, but would really like to reproduce the key in the materials and format (one piece, or folding, plain, decorated, multimetal) of an original key. The manner in which the lock works is unusual in my experience:  Note, the large knob is fixed and plays no role in locking the safe.  The small cylindrical brass knob does all of the work: with the locking knob rotated CCW to starting position in the vertical axis the key is inserted, bit up, into the keyway.  The knob is rotated CW whereupon the key is seized and elevated to a nonremoveable fixed position where it interacts with the levers, and, the combination being met, the locking knob is allowed to rotate further to pull back the locking bolts.  Question: Have you ever seen an original E&H key for this style lock?  Could you provide information or photos of a key..?  Thanks Very Much!

Answer
Hi Eugene,

Yes, I do have a photo of an original key.    The Columbia State Historical Park in California
(http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552)  has one on display in the Park Rangers office, and they have an original key.    I've got a photo of it somewhere in my photo collection, that I'll have to try to dig out for you.

I'll need an email address for you, so that I can send it to you.    Send me a request at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

As far where do get a key blank or cut - good luck.    There are none available, which means that it would have to be hand made.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)