Locksmithing/sargent Model 77 mortise lock

I have a old sargent model 77 mortise lock that i can not figure out how to remove the knobs. There is no set screw to remove from the knob . The lock is from the 60 or 70 old oil rubbed bronze knobs . Can you help . I have 35 yrs in dors and hardware and this lock has kicked ny butt.

There is a part just behind the knob with a small hole in it. This is for a spanner wrench to unscrew it. It is attached to the inside knob.

Once you start to unscrew it from the spindle you will see the knob coming off. Just keep unscrewing the piece until the inside knob is completely off.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies