Locksmithing/Adesco Floor Safe Mystery

Hi Terry,

I moved into my home nine years ago and found a floor safe. According to the name plate, it was manufactured by Adesco (Los Angeles and Atlanta) and the dial identifies Sargent & Greenleaf, Inc. of Nicholasville, KY. I also have its serial number but I don't think that it is relevant at this point.

I would like to open it to view its contents (if any) and maybe use it myself in the future. I contacted a local locksmith, who mentioned drilling the safe to get at its combination but the cost would be around $500. At that price, I would rather keep it unopened.

Please advise on what I can do...

Hi Doug,

Adesco has been out of business for about 10+ years now.   They were acquired by FireKing International.   The brand is no longer around.

Second item - with the exception of a "death in the family", people DO NOT abandon safes with "stuff" inside, so if you are proceeding along the lines of having it opened in order to use it, then I would recommend it.   "IF" anything is inside of it, that's a bonus, but don't plan on spending good money hoping to find a treasure.   The dust bunnies, paper clips and rubber bands are going to be a big disappointment.

Next item - I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   As they generally don't have the knowledge, training or tools, you may wind up with an open safe, which has been ruined.   Kind of hard to use it afterwards.

Check your yellow pages under "Safes & Vaults" for a local safe company, to have their trained safe tech open the safe for you.    I know a number of people in California that I can refer you to if you don't have someone local, but I'll need to know your zip code.

Costs ARE going to be around $400 to $500 plus parts depending on who you get.    You do need to make sure that you understand ALL of the charges as many companies may have "hidden" charges, so you get quoted an "about" price, but get billed another price.     If you have any questions concerning pricing or opening techniques, feel free to run it by me BEFORE you pay someone.

As far as the "COST" goes, let me put it in other terms that make it more reasonable.    ASSUMING that you are considering using a safe to keep your valuables "SAFE", in order to install a similar safe you would be looking at the following pricing:

$800-$1000 for a similar safe, plus tax
$350 to have it correctly installed

So total cost would be from $1150 to about $1500.    By having this safe opened and repaired and the combo recovered you will have the security of a decent safe, for about $500-$1000 less!   The cost - if the safe is opened correctly and not ruined - is actually a bargain.

Hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)