Locksmithing/combo reset, valuation

Question
victor safe
victor safe  

victor safe
victor safe  
Andy:

I have a victor safe with a patent date of 1885. The safe door is open. I do not have the combination as it passed on with my father when he left this world last March. I removed the door today and I was wondering if you can direct me (a laymen with a screwdriver) to reset the lock combo.  Or just let me know if it it is better to take the door to a locksmith to reset the combination. What is the average cost to reset the combo, if I were to drop the door off with a locksmith?  How much is the safe worth? I have several pictures, showing the lock mechanism, patent date, etc. I was not able to find a serial number.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Answer
Hi Tim,

First I never recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project as even a small mistake can result in an expensive lockout.    Cost to have the combo recovered or reset should be around $35-$50, and they should ensure that it works correctly for you.

If you decide to do it yourself, you will have to recover the combination by observation.

the dialing sequence for your lock is:
I'm assuming it is a four wheel lock -

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (last number).

Note:  left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

find the number for each wheel by observation and then using the above dialing sequence test your combination.

If you still can't get it - then take it to a local safe company to have them recover it for you.   They can also show you how to dial it properly if you are having trouble with that as well.

hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)