Locksmithing/Old LeFebure key

When I got married in 2009 my father gave me my grandparents old silverware set. Inside the box under the set was a LeFebure envelope marked box 8. Inside was a key with LeFebure stamped on the head. I have had no luck trying to trace the key or box it might go to. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Basically even if you knew what bank the box was in, if you aren't the executor of their estate, the bank isn't going to talk to you.

First place to start - obviously you will need to be or go through the executor of the estate.
second step -  get a list of every bank that your grandparents did business with.
third step - contact the bank to check on accounts or safe deposit boxes.

Note - by law, if there is no activity in any banking or financial account (to include safe deposit boxes), for a period of around 5 years.    (Every state has their own rules and time limits, so check yours and/or your grandparents).    At this time a law called "Escheatment" goes into effect whereas all funds and/or stuff in the box goes to the state.

You can google "Escheatment" for more info, and again, check your state for exact rules.    If your grandparents "Box" had not been touched or the account accessed in over 5 years or the period allowed by law, then it is probably not there any longer.

Your next step would be to contact your state office to see if any funds are there belonging to your grandparents, etc.   You WILL have to document your claim to the items.

California's guide to unclaimed property is over 50 pages long and explains their procedures for escheatment and how to claim the property.

Hope this helps somewhat, as the key itself has no value and the lock it went to has probably been changed out.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)