Locksmithing/Recent Hall's Safe Find

Question
Hello Andy,

I recently obtained a Hall's Safe & Lock Co. Safe from a friend of mine. I have reviewed many posts that you have answered to see if I could get this answer without contacting you.

I had two questions about the safe I figured you could answer:

1. The serial number located on the access handle is 96509 could you give me a range of dates that the safe was manufactured in?

2. The safe is locked open and the access handle is broken off. I took the inside backing plate off of the inner door to reveal the inner dial tumbler mechanism. I feel confident that I can repair the handle and would like to be able to access the locking lugs mechanism. I cannot determine how to remove the cement insert in the door so I can clearly access the internals and remove them for repair and restoration.

If you would like I can forward you the pictures of the safe and the door for your inspection.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Paul

Answer
Hi Paul,

Based on your serial number, your safe would have been manufactured between 1880-1883, so it would be considered antique (over 100 years old).

There is no "easy" way to remove the insulation mortar.   You can either simply chop it out, using an air hammer with a chisel point, or you could use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to give you a cleaner cut.   

There may be a "metal dam" covering the bolt work to keep the mortar from entering the bolt work cavity.   You will have to remove any mortar that keeps the dam in place.   Don't damage the dam as you will need to reinstall it, if you plan on replacing the mortar that you removed.

Once the mortar and dam have been removed, you should have clear access to the bolt work and handle cam.   Generally the cam was held onto the handle arbor by means of a nut, so removing it is usually fairly straight forward.

While you have this area open, I would recommend that you clean it thoroughly and paint the interior cavity with a rust preventive paint.    While you can paint the bolt work, there are areas that have a metal on metal connection, which should be left unpainted, but lubricated.

I don't necessarily need to see photos of the safe unless you have specific questions or need an evaluation of it.

hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)