Locksmithing/Gaby safe found built into counter

Question
I recently moved some items from a counter top in what was once the kitchen of an old church (South Gate, CA). After opening part of the counter top I discovered a metal safe built down into and underneath the counter with the door being on the top. The door is circular and on it is a small plaque that ready Gaby Safe Co., Los Angeles, 39096. Any ideas on how old this safe might be? and how to open it? Thank you.
Katie

Answer
Hi Katie,

Your safe is a "GARY" safe, not a Gaby safe.   This company was actually in "The City of Industry", CA, about 20 miles from you.

They manufactured safes from the early 1960's until they merged with Allied Security and moved to Seattle in the early 1980's.    Later on the brand was sold to NKL Industries and both were acquired by Fire King International.    While the Gary brand is still made by FireKing, it is NOT the same company any longer.
So in answer to your question, your safe would have been made between the early 60's to the early 80's.

As far as ideas on how to open it - of course I have ideas on how to open it, unfortunately YOU only have two options.
1.   You can test dial the 1,000,000 possible combinations until you find the correct one, or
2.   You can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

NOTE:  As parts are NOT going to be available for the safe, door or lock, it needs to be opened as damage free as possible.   While manipulation is possible it may not be feasible.   You may not have anyone in your area trained in this technique, and more importantly it is never guaranteed.   You may wind up paying for the service and Not the result.
Drilling is an option as long as it is done professionally.    In general the single, small (1/4" or smaller) hole can easily be repaired, and if done correctly the lock should NOT be damaged.   The combination can be recovered or reset and the safe made optional.

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local company.   If you don't have one, let me know where you are at (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)