Locksmithing/Safe

Question
My fathers safe does not now open with the combination he has used for years. It is a Saga International Model 910 it is called saf-d-posit. There is a number 18301651 on the back. Is there anything to try other than call a locksmith? I looked on the website and tried there suggested combination processes. He has been spinning past 73 5 times then doing 3 more numbers with decreasing numbers of turns like most safe combinations

Answer
Hi Donna,

There are ONLY three reasons a combination lock will not unlock - in order they are:
1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.   Mechanical problems.

If you had provided the dialing sequence your father was trying to use, I could have tried to clean it up a bit for you.    Unfortunately, many times combinations are passed along the way they are "understood" and NOT necessarily the way that the combination works.   This is evident in your fathers indicating he is dialing 5 times to the first number.

Many of the SAGA Safes had what we term straight tail piece locks, these can be dialed LRLR or RLRL, however EACH dialing sequence WILL have different numbers.   You can try both of them with your father's numbers.   If it still doesn't work the numbers may be wrong.

The dialing sequence will either be LRLR or RLRL as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right - stopping on the last number.     Turn the key or handle to open the safe.

NOTE:    Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial, stopping the FOURTH time the number 50 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If this doesn't work, try the same dialing sequence but substitute RLRL for the LRLR.

If it still doesn't work then you may not have the correct numbers, or they may be in the wrong order.   If you can't get it open, then it is time to call a SAFE TECHNICIAN from a local SAFE COMPANY, NOT a locksmith.    While most safemen are also locksmiths, very few locksmiths are actually safemen.

Check your yellow pages under "Safes & Vaults" for a local company.    If you can't find one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)