Locksmithing/Safe Door Combination

Question
I purchased a LeFebure safe door that was removed from a business.  I plan to use it for safe room entrance in my basement.  The guy I bought it from does not have the combination.  The door is removed and on a pallet that was delivered to me.  I have the serial number for this door.  Can the combination be provided from the company with proof of ownership and or pictures?

Answer
Hi Gregg,

I would imagine that you are referring to a "vault" door and not a safe door.    Vault doors are "walk in", safe doors are "reach in".

In answer to the basic premise of your question - NO!    #1 - as LeFebure has been out of business since they were acquired by Mosler around 1995 and as Mosler went bankrupt in 2001, it's going to be rather difficult to contact the manufacturer unless you have developed some sort of time travel.    #2 - Vault doors generally come from the manufacturer set on a neutral number.   When it is installed originally the first combination would be set for that "business".    Generally businesses have their combinations changed on a regular basis for security reasons and/or when an employee who has the combination leaves.     In many cases this could be up to several times each year.

Bottom line - Yes the combination can be recovered and/or reset for you.

You didn't indicate whether you were going to have a trained safe company install the door, or whether you were going to attempt this yourself (not recommended), but as soon as the door is upright a safe technician from a local safe company can recover or reset the lock combinations for you.    

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local safe companies.    If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)