Locksmithing/Stuck bottom drawer of 2 drawer safe

Question
I have an Art Metal 2, GSA Class 6 safe with two drawers, (?Model CL6-2). The top drawer has a handle that must be rotated clockwise after the combination has been entered and then a button that must be slid to the right to open the drawer. The lock and top drawer open fine. The bottom drawer simply has a button that needs to be slid to the right. The button still moves but the bottom drawer won't open (doesn't even seem to move so I don't think something inside is jamming it shut). I have had the bottom drawer open before (I'm trying to clean everything out from my former boss), but now I can't get it to open. I've tried with the top drawer open, top drawer closed, etc. - is there some interlock or trick that I'm missing on how to operate the bottom drawer?

Answer
Hi Michael,

there are TWO different locking mechanism on the container.   The gang lock and the drawer latch.

The gang lock is controlled by the active or control drawer.   When this drawer is unlocked correctly, the others are available to open.

The individual drawer latch is controlled by the "button".

So if a drawer doesn't want to open there are several issues that need to be checked out.
1.   "IS" the gang lock releasing the drawer correctly???
2.   "IS" the individual drawer latch releasing correctly???
3.   "IS" something inside the drawer jamming it or preventing its release???

Unfortunately mechanical issues - like the drawer not opening, tend to be hands on, diagnostics, solutions and repairs.    As you are there and I'm not I can't give you a comprehensive check list of things to look at, you'll just have to check everything out.

If you still can't get it open, then you may need to have a trained GSA safe tech check it out for you.
As these old "Art Metal" cabinets haven't been produced since the 1960's, it could easily be a broken gang lock or other damaged part.    Just because the "button" seems to move, doesn't mean that it is actually raising the latch.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully this will give you some direction.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)