Locksmithing/keys

Question
I have two keys which appear to be safety deposit keys- are in a little bank envelope that is generic - no name.  I have read the responses to other key inquiries:  wondering if there is any significance in the fact that both keys - bearing the same pattern, have little tags on them with a number.  Is there a way to trace what bank they could have come from?  I am betting someplace in Brooklyn or the Bronx NY - where my parents were from.

Answer
Hi Joyce,

Sorry but there are no records for keys for safe deposit boxes.    As far as a significance that they both have the same number - they probably both go to the same safe deposit box.    Banks generally issue keys out to the customer as a pair.   This way if you lose one key, you should still have the other available to gain access.

If you don't have a record for the bank they go to, then your only recourse would be to check with all of the banks that your parents did business with.   however if you are not listed as the executor of their estate then the banks probably aren't going to even talk to you.

Banks generally also have escheatment rules.    When customers don't access their accounts or safe deposit boxes in a specific period of time, the accounts can be closed and any monies or items sent to the state for holding or safe keeping.

Find and check with any banks that your parents may have done business with, but make sure you have the executor privileges or they might not even talk to you.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)