Locksmithing/Mosler hing finials

mosler hinge finial.jpg
mosler hinge finial.jp  
QUESTION: Mr Andreason,

I need your help.

I am trying to find and buy 6 Mosler hinge finials to complete a restoration.

I know that these things are "out there" somewhere ... probably in someone really savvy wonderful old Silver Head's "junk" box ...

Can you help me locate them?

ANSWER: Hi Jorrie,

While I can look through my boxes of old parts to see if I have any like this, I can't help you otherwise locate them.

Unfortunately the old safe restoration market is a very small market.   Any companies that have boxes of old parts mainly keep them for THEIR restoration work and not for sale, meaning that there is NO comprehensive listing of parts or who might have them, available - anywhere.

This would be one of those areas that you would simply have to send requests to every safe company and/or large locksmith company to see if anyone has them.    Generally most companies are simply going to say "NO" rather than dig through boxes of old parts, which is why my first recommendation is to simply have new ones made.

If you have a machine shop near by or are friends with someone with a lathe, you can simply have new ones made.   If not then that would be another item to research.    I know of a couple guys that do make them - again mainly for THEIR restoration work, but you can always check with them to see what kind of price they would be charging.    I have a machine shop next door, unfortunately they are set up for large project jobs (1000's or more per item), so it is actually more expensive for them to make smaller jobs of only a couple items.

Sorry I wish the answer was better, but there simply isn't an aftermarket parts industry for old parts like this.

QUESTION: Thanks so very much, Sir ...

If you find them, please send them to me and I'll pay you whatever is reasonable ... call  for an address

If you can't find any, then Please accept my Sincere Thanks for your efforts

and I'll regrettably get them made somehow

again, Thanks

Hi Robert,

I spoke with my friend about your acorns.    The ones he has are a bit different, so he would need one of yours to make them the same.    Costs is about $25-$30 ea, which is much cheaper than my machinist charges!!!    Send an email directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com and I'll forward his contact info to you, so you can deal directly with him.

Hope this helps,

Hi Robert,

I haven't had a chance to go through my box of acorns (finials) yet, but I did get a chance to talk to a friend of mine in southern California, who is a safe collector and has a machine shop.   He has over 40 different types of acorns that he has already done the cad/cam drawings for.   He is thinking about starting to make various acorns as a lot of people are missing one, two or all of the ones on their safes.

I'll send him a picture of what you are looking for to see if he has any like yours or has done a drawing of it yet.   I don't have any pricing yet, but if he already has the cad/cam drawings done, then the machines are pretty much automatic.

I'll check on it next week.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)