Locksmithing/!888 patented Sears and Roebuck safe

Question
I have a safe, patented in 1888 by Sears Roebuck and Co. Chicago Ill. Serial # 71151 What can you tell me about it's history. I won't be surprised if you cannot, because Sears ain't got a clue. it is also marked on the upper flange with the letters J M C N

Answer
Hi Jeff,

Basic History:

Richard Sears was a railroad station agent in 1886.   His first attempt at sales began after a local jeweler refused a shipment of watches.   Sears bought them at a discount and sold them up and down the rail line for a profit, beginning the R.W. Sears Watch Company.
The following year, 1887, he moved the business to Chicago and hired Alvah C. Roebuck as a jeweler/watch maker.   Both men were in their 20's and became good friends.   In 1893 the company incorporated as Sears, Roebuck & Company - a mail order catalog company.   In 1895 Julius Rosenwald bought into the company and shortly afterward, due to ill health, Roebuck retired, though the company retained his name.    Sears, Roebuck & Company operated as a Mail Order ONLY company until they opened their first retail store, in one of the distribution facilities in 1925.

Safes sold during this first 32 years, safes sold by the mail order company came from several sources, and had to be small enough to be easily shipped, transported and/or picked up the customers.

Obviously without seeing your safe, I would have no idea which company might have made your safe.   As you mentioned Sears, Roebuck & Company was NOT a manufacturer of ANY of their products and as such did not keep records.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you, but I will need photos.   As this site is not very photo friendly (not mine, I'm just a volunteer here) I'll need you to send the photos directly to me.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)